The return of warm sunny weather made me realize that my beauty tool kit needed a tune-up. While I keep using Retin A, I need to crank up my sun protection and add anti0xidants to repair sun damage. I have found six products that fit the bill perfectly:
1. Eye Make-up Remover —Almay Oil-Free Travel Pack ($.99)
I used this product all winter and really loved the way it took off my mascara without leaving an oily film. Only problem was the package — a 3 inch high jar that did not pack well. At Ultra, I discovered it came in a travel size of 15 pads that fit beautifullyinto my toiletries bag. Just perfect for weekend strips to the country.
2. Cleanser — Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash ($8.99) This fragrance-free clear liquid cleanser is gentle and oil free. Its so mild that it can be used to remove eye make-up, but for that I am going to stick with my disposable pads.
3. Daytime Moisturizer/Sunscreen – Aveeno Continuous Protection Sunblock with SPF 70. ( $12.99) This product is the linchpin of my daytime anti-aging skin care. Not only does it have an amazing 70SPF, its stuffed with four different antioxidants– soy protein, and vitamins A, C and E. Different types of free-radicals are subdued by different antioxidants. The more types of antioxidants a product contains, the more it will control free radicals in your skin cells. Nice!
4. Eye Care Cream — Clarins Sunscreen Wrinkle Control Eye High Protection ($22) Despite the way too long name, this is such a well-thought out product. It’s a mineral based physical sunscreen which is less irritating than chemcial sunscreens– really important when you are using something around the eyes. Even better it boasts a 30SPF.
5. Night Care— Korres Quercetin and Oak Anti-Aging and Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream ($52 — where do they get these names?) This cream costs more than most of my other products, but it had so many excellent features, I had to bring it home with me. Quercetin is a powerful antioxidant (found in apples and grapes) which offers serious protection against sun-induced DNA damage. This night cream also has a slew of other appealing features. Its free of mineral oil, parabans, alcohol, fragrance and retinols. Even the packaging is totally recyclable.
6. Body Lotion — Eucerin Q10 Anti-Wrinkle Sensitive Creme ($12.99)
During the day my arms and legs are going to spend a lot of time in the sun, and I want to try to repair the damge at night. Eucerin has CoQ10, a natural antioxidant in the body. As we grow older the level of CoQ10 keeps declining and by age 60, its about half what we had in our twenties. Like most of my other skin care products, it is fragrance-free and non-irritating.
Let the summer games begin!