There is a gorgeous buffet of choices for acne care including gels, pills, antibiotics, lights, retinoids, lasers, hormones, peels and wipes. There is even an i phone app that offers an acne-fighting light that has good science behind it! This plan looks at a way to integrate standard acne fighters with anti-aging protection.
In the Morning:
* Wash face with oil -free cleanser such as Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish Cleanser ( Neutrogena, $7.99) and Clean and Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser ( Johnson and Johnson, $6.99). Wet your face and rub a dab into your face. Massage gently and rinse thoughly with warm water.
* Apply a treatment product that contains acne fighters such as benzoyl peroxide which deals acne causing bacteria in the pores or salicylic acid which dries up blackheads and small blemishes.
* Top with oil-free moisturizer/ sunscreen such as Oil-Free Moisture, SPF 15 ( Neutrogena, $10.99)
* Wash your face with oil-free cleanser ( see selections for daytime)
* Wait for 30 minutes before applying a heavy duty treatment product such as an antibiotic gel like Clindamycin( prescription only) or a Retin A formulation for acne such as Tazorac. Start using them three times a week to allow your skin to get used to them and work up to every night.
Once a week use a home glycolic peel. My current favorite is Exfoliating Glyco Peel System from Patricia WexlerMD ( $60). Glycolic acid is awesome! It takes off the top dead layer of skin cells that encourages healthy skin growth. It is a valuable acne fighter as well as a great anti-aging tool. In fact, for twenty somethings, glycolic acid becomes the first line anti-aging tool.