These weeks of cold and snowy weather are especially hard on my Retin A -treated skin. And its just not the weather outside that’s causing problems. Apparently the low humidity in my home is making things worse. The radiators are going full blast 24/7 and as they provide heat, they are evaporating the moisture in every room.
When I learned that indoor heat was drying out the air, my first instinct was to buy the biggest, baddest humidifier that I could carry home. But these devices are not without problems of their own. Overly humid air can increase levels of bacteria and allergens into the air. The reservoirs of water needs to be emptied and cleaned daily to avoid build-up of mold and minerals– that are then sprayed around the home.
To determine if I really needed a humidifier, I bought a small, inexpensive device that monitors indoor humidity. Called a hygrometer, it measures moisture in the air expressed as “relative humidity percentage” or RH. The ideal RH is between 30-60%. Over 60% the air is too humid while 0-29% is too dry. In my bedroom, the RH was 25%, certainly a clue to why my skin seems to resistant to moisturizers.
Now that I know low humidity is a problems in my home, which humidifier should I get? When I went to Home Depot, I was overwhelmed . Warm mist? Cool mist? Ultrasonic? Germ-Free? Anyone have recommendations?