Its Fashion Flash Monday, New Year’s Eve Edition, hosted by Barbara of The Best of Everything After 50. The Fashion Flash bloggers have cranked it up to end 2013 with the best of the best fashion and beauty tips:
* Jackie of Aging Backwards takes an honest look at New Year’s Resolutions
* Fab Over 40 ends the year with a not to be missed plan for reviving dull, dry skin
*Prime Beauty shows how to get that special beauty glow by using the right products
*Black Cat Plus proves that beauty is never based on size
* Fabulous After 40 shares the best looks of 2013
* Moving Free with Mirabai reveals the top five fitness myths
* Staness of Menopause Makeover shares her recipe for Pomegranate Champagne punch– … Continue Reading…
This has not been a good time for the vitamin industry. A recent story in the New York Times reported that vitamin supplements were not what they seemed. Some were contaminated by rodent poop while others had 200X recommended levels of selenium. And then there were those Ayurvedic supplements which contained potentially harmful levels of lead, mercury and arsenic.
Now in December no less than three studies showed that multivitamin supplements had no health benefits. Research out of Harvard Medical School gave 6000 men over 65 a daily multivitamin pill and measured their brain function. At the end of 12 years, the multi vitamin made no difference in cognitive ability. The much larger US Preventive Service Task Force followed 300,000 men and women who took multi vitamins. The result? No change in heart and … Continue Reading…
I love hosting Fashion Flash during the holiday season. Our bloggers have assembled a great selection of posts that reflect the fashion, beauty and health needs for this time of year:
* Jodell of BlackCatPlus shares an inerview on Katie Couric that encourages plus size women to start moving.
* Deb of Fabulous After 40 wants you to look gorgeous AND save money. With all the expenses of the holidays, she doesn’t want you to blow your Christmas budget on a single dress. Deb shares 5 holiday party dresses that are under $158!
* Staness of Menopause Makeover share a wonderful Christmas story! Heather lost 52 pounds during her Menopause Makeover and her family lost weight too. What are you giving yourself for Christmas this year?
… Continue Reading…
Real, cultured or fake, pearls flatter women of any age, shape size or coloring. Glowing with light , they can be worn with equal ease with casual sportswear, tailored business suits, and revealing evening wear. Pearls are generous, sharing their luminous glow with your skin and hair. They are the ultimate team players of accessories generously complementing rather than demanding attention.
How Pearls are Made
Pearls are created when a tiny foreign object ( like grain of sand) drifts into the shell of an oyster or mussel. To ease the discomfort of the intruder, the mollusk secretes a white crystalline substance called nacre to coat the irritant. The layers of this material on the grain of sand eventually produces a pearl. In real pearls, the irritants sweep into the shell from the ocean floor. In clutured … Continue Reading…
This week, thousands of celebrating Santas filled the streets on their annual pub crawl– and its hard to think of a worse night for your skin. Drinking alcohol, even that nightly glass of wine with dinner , affects your skin in eight ways– all bad.
How Alcohol Harms Your Skin
We all know how thirsty we are after a party. Alcohol actually speeds up urination so that we lose water with every drink . If you drink 8 oz of alcohol you will pee out 16 oz of water– an attempt of the body to clean out the toxins from the alcohol. In the short run, the lack of moisture in your skin will make it pale, with darker under eye circles and accenturate … Continue Reading…
This week Deb Boland of Fabulous After 40 is hosting Fashion Flash. With the holidays just days away, the Fashion Flash bloggers are bursting with seasonal spirit. For example:
* Aging Backwards shares holiday beauty tips
* Prime Beauty has a holiday special for a unique skin peel
* Menopause Makeover offers 10 tips to reduce holiday stress
* Moving Free with Mirabai shares an exercise routine that reduces holiday overload
* The Best of Everything Over Fifty shares a video that shows how to love your hair whether is short or long straight or curly– perfect timing for holiday parties.
* And these days dresses with sleeves are as rare as white rhinos. But 40 + Style has rounded up a selection of these rarities that are both beautiful … Continue Reading…
Sometimes I think that I should re-name my blog the No-Nonsense Guide to Retin A. There are so many questions about how to use it and we are given so little information with the prescription. Here are three questions that needed to be answered right now:
*Question 1— Will one appliction of Retin A do anything?
Answer– If your skin is especially sensitive, one appication may produce redness and some irritation. But practically speaking, using it just once won’t help acne or wrinkles.
Question 2— Can I use Retin A on my body?
Answer– You can certainly use Retin on your chest to deal with signs of sundamage, but its not practical to use it on larger areas of the body. Its expensive and probably not good for the body to absorb so much of any form of … Continue Reading…
I love to get honest, effective answers for just about everything. I’ve researched the best way to calm a fussy baby ( swaddle them), the best apple pie recipe ( cook apples first) and the right way to prevent skin aging ( wear a sunscreen even in winter). Sometimes the research was for an article or a client and sometimes it was just to answer my own questions– but I always dug, for not just the answer but the backstory behind the answer.
I love to find out how things work like why Retin A works for both acne and aging, or why smoking causes wrinkles. But my favorite backstories deal with fashion. I am endlessly fascinated not only by the clothes we wear, but how they came … Continue Reading…