Question: I’ve seen ads for sun protection pills. Do they really work? I just got a job offer in Tuscon, but after two skin cancer surgeries, I’m worried about so much sun exposure.
Answer: It does sound like the plot point of an episode on Twilight Zone, but sun protection supplements like Heliocare are genuinely helpful. They are made from the extract of a fern found in South and Central America– another good reason to protect the rain forest.
For centuries, native tribes used to apply these ferns to inflammed and blistered skin. In fact they were a popular folk remedy for skin condition suchs as eczema and psoriasis. Today over 70 peer reviewed studies have demonstrated that extracts made from these ferns can protect the skin in four ways:
1. They are powerful antioxidants that break down free radicals … Continue Reading…
I had chronic breakouts when I was younger and I think one of the reasons I am happy to be over 50 is that I no longer have to worry about acne. But because of my personal history, finding the best options for preventing and treating acne is one of my favorite beauty topics. Many of my readers feel the same way and about half of their questions deal with acne. Here are the top five questions
1. How can I have acne breakouts in my late 30’s? I thought its just a problem for teens.
Answer: Acne is thought to be as much a part of adolesence as SAT’s and hopeless crushes. IRL acne has no age limit. Teenage acne is due to the perfect storm of hormonal surges that lead to increased oil product combined with a high fat, … Continue Reading…
Staness of Menopause Makeover is hosting Fashion Flash this week! Our lifestyle bloggers are shaking off the snow to share great beauty, fitnes, fashion and health tips:
* Barbara of The Best of Everything After 50 offers the single best exercise that women should do every day
* Cindy of Prime Beauty gets up close and personal with a great beauty ingredient- glycolic acid
* Jodell of Black Cat Plus shares the figure friendly benefits of vests
* Kari of Fab Over 40 introduces the new make-up set from Bobbi Brown ( my all time fav)
* Deb of Fabulous After Forty demonstrates how to get tops and bottoms in proportion when you are long waisted
* Mirabai of Moving Free with Mirabai details new information on healthy heart nutrition.
* … Continue Reading…
Retin A questions are the top category in my mail box. This medication is strong, effective, but success lies with so many details that are not discussed when its first prescribed. This is not the first time I received this one-dab- fits- all question, so it definately needs an answer.
Question: I am 35, African American and I am using Retin A for both acne and area of discoloration. The directions say to use a single pea size dab for the whole face. Wouldn’t it be smarter to put it just on the areas that need help?
Answer: That little nightly dab of Retin A hardly seems enough for a whole face, but its all the skin needs… and can handle. Retin A is powerful and even that small amount can cause dryness and irritation, especially if used in … Continue Reading…